Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The saga continues

I finally mustered up the courage to call Best Buy today. I put it off this morning, fearing the nervous breakdown I've always, um, feared. Anyway, BB told me they have requested an "RMA" to Hewlett Packard. I think this RMA stuff is pure comedy improv gold. This is why I sucked at retail. I couldn't improv the BS like this. RMA, I'm told stands for Return Merchandise Authorization, which means that they are requesting HP return my laptop whether it's fixed or not and that I'll get a full refund from BB.

I say how about a DMR, Demand the motherfucker returned back to me, because it's mine, not HP's. Supposedly, what will happen from here (in 48 hours, BB guesses) is that HP will respond and return my computer back to BB in C'dale who in turn will send to the nearest BB to me here in Austin. I say HP will futz around some more (that is, if I ever get my property back) and wait past June 24, when the warranty runs out making sure that I'll be stuck without a computer due to negligence on both sides.

The fact that my computer is sitting somewhere in Durham, NC not being fixed, not getting shipped back to me, appalls me. The fact that HP is telling me that they don't know where it is, yet BB is telling me that they have proof that it's in Durham, or that it was shipped there at the very least. Actually, I am not too happy with BB either. When I originally started calling when all of this started dragging out, they were very dismissive of me, telling me to call HP, who was absolutely of zero help. When BB saw that I wasn't going away, they started working with me yesterday. But, we'll see how far things get. I'm told that BB has contacted HP asking them to just return the computer immediately (fixed or not) and is waiting for HP to respond. I honestly think HP is playing "Finders Keepers" with me. It certainly feels that way.

A show of hands here. How many think I'll actually end up with my computer back in my possession within a week or so? How many think I'll never see it again and that HP will take no responsibility and that BB will try to weasel out of the refund? Hell, who knows, maybe it's UPS's fault.

At this point I could care less if it's fixed, I just want the fucker back in my possession.

3 comments:

Ferdinand the Duck said...

It's too bad you're not in C'Dale anymore, because I bet showing up in person looking extremely angry would get things moving quicker. It's too easy to blow off someone on the phone.

I'm not good at dealing with customer service people, but I would think one of them has to take responsibility for fucking up. As long as you keep phoning them up and yelling, someone has to do something. I had a somewhat similar situation a few months ago, and it took like 2 months to clear up, but it was resolved eventually. In related news, Sears can eat a dick.

Angela Z said...

Customer service? Isn't that the greatest oxymoron of all times? My parents had almost the exact similar situation with Best Buy and an HP commputer.....hmmm. Something tells me neither company is too keen on backing their products or helping resolve issues. good luck!

StickyKeys said...

Oh Sears can eat a million and one dicks, but that's another topic completely.

Anyhoodle, my fingers are crossed for you babe, sadly, probably no one has any clue what's really going on and they're trying to buy time.

I would call HP and ask for a complimentary extension of your warranty though just in case they do try to pull some mess and not get the comp to you in time.

In fact, you'll need to get it fixed when you get it back so you should do that anyway.