Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Internet Time Suckage

I don't know how your Internet time suckage has been lately, but I was deeply amused the other day when I realized I'd found the same poster on two completely unrelated boards...so no, this isn't a thing where it's related boards with cross-posters or something like that. Playing Internet Dectective has been a major pastime for me to the detriment of much productivity. I guess the most entertaining aspect of this is that I used to post at a couple of related boards where one of the major pastimes was figuring out reincarnated and cross-posters. Except I found this one out in the wild, all on my own, completely by accident, so it is doubly comical.

Anyway, as I said, these two boards are completely different and totally unrelated. This is sheer coincidence! Also, I always wondered if this particular person is as bitchy in real life or if it's just keyboard courage. I wondered if she just put on a persona, and, to a degree, it seems that may be the case. On one board she really stood out because she is a prolific poster as well as prolifically bitchy. I'm sure she speaks her mind in real life and all, but I doubt it works as much to her advantage as she pretends. She revels in being one of the "Mean Girls" so much it is sad and hilarious all at the same time, because she tries so hard. She really puts effort into it, that's for sure. Some of her posts are great though, because she doesn't hold back and speaks her mind. But, that isn't necessarily a virtue in and of itself and I think she has some hard lessons to learn. She's so hell-bent on speaking her mind bluntly and rudely so that she almost seems like a caricuture at times. And then, for other reasons, I think there is more depth there and she's probably not as bad in real life. In fact, bitchy as she is, I'm not surprised that several posters have reported meeting her IRL and having drinks and good times with her.

So, one board is all about Hawaii and the other is a Greek board, for current/alumnae sorority/frat people. The reason I'm so amused is that it's unmistakably the same person and yet I see how she presents herself differently at both boards. She really seems like such a rude, obnoxious person at the Greek site, that sometimes you can't fathom how she'd have any real life friends willing to tolerate her. On that board she's rather insufferable much of the time. On the Hawaii board, she's a little more humble and down to earth, because that's how they roll. It's just funny to have noticed what she puts out on the one board and how she acts on the other. I know we're all social chameleons to a degree and hers isn't really any different, but I am reveling in some Internet Time Suckage watching her Zelig it up at one place and then the other.

I can totally see how she spins things one way at one board and then adjusts it slightly at the other board. It's not really totally out of whack, that's not what I'm saying, but she definitely puts up a different front at the Greek board. Basically, she tries to look "cooler" at the Greek board, because it really doesn't matter as much at the Hawaii board. For example, she mentioned at the Hawaii board that a bunch of girls were mean to her in high school and how she couldn't wait to show them up at a reunion. Pretty garden variety stuff, right? At the Greek board, the only way she'd admit that a bunch of girls made fun of her is by qualifying it with how she was a cheerleader and they were jealous of her status or something like that, but not saying it that explicitly. It would be more like how she and all her friends were cheerleaders and all the other girls were mean to them because of it. She would never admit to being left out any reindeer games at the Greek board, but probably wouldn't have any problem saying so at the other. Oh, and when she said she got dumped at the Hawaii board, she said it was time for the relationship to end, so it wasn't that bad, but that she'd never have been able to be the one to call it off herself. She'd never put that out on the Greek board because it would make her look a little vulnerable. For some reason, something tells me her persona is actually closer to the one on the Hawaii boards, because frankly, it's more believable. It's certainly more likeable, that's for sure. I pity her and those around her if she's actually more like she appears on the Greek board.

What tipped me off was that she made the exact same post at both boards. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just what tipped me off. The fact that two people said exactly the same thing about the passing of Mr. Wizard was odd to me. Then, there were two other posts that were quite similar about a friend's class reunion that she'd just attended where her ex-boyfriend and his fiance were. So, I went through their posting history and realized that OTW and Lei Liko are the same person. Heh. So that's the lastest in my Internet Time Suckage. Amusing only to me, I realize, but I had to share anyway.

6 comments:

CharmingDriver said...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Dang it, for a minute I thought you had spotted Marge out in the wilds on the internets! Still very, very cool though!

Jen said...

High five for the Zelig mention! Before you said what the boards where I was all stoked thinking you had some dirt one of the old group.

Jen said...

Augh! She beat me to it by 1 minute!

jennmurphy5 said...

i love your attention to details like this! i have now started my own blog! vincent van monkey
jenn

Sophie Treadmill said...

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to get you excited that I'd found Marge or anyone from the old gang. Just one pissed off Hawaiian sorority chick with a major inferiority complex.

StickyKeys said...

I always like noticing those similarities too. Especially on sites that have nothing to do with each other, like, "What are they doing here? What am I doing here?!" Good times.