Thursday, June 21, 2007

Blue Screen Thrice

In my neverending computer saga, Best Buy offered to exchange my laptop. So, I picked one out, took it home, opened it up, set it up, etc. And I've already gotten the blue screen three times. I was just playing with Word 2007, trying to figure out its idiosyncracies each time it happened. When I set it up all I did was follow the prompts, nothing else. I just called BB and they told me to bring it in and they'd see what the deal was. Yippee...it's a 40 mile round trip and I just love spending even more gas money.

Nevermind that I didn't even want this one. I wanted to get one half as cheap as the old one and had already picked out a flat screen TV, a TV stand, a dock for my Zune, and various smaller items for the remainder of the balance. Then I go up to the customer service desk and it took them 45 minutes to figure out that I could only exchange it. So, whatever, I picked out the only laptop they had that cost the same as my old one, even though I really didn't want it. I figured since they weren't going to give me a store credit or a refund, I didn't want to let them be several hundred dollars ahead for something that wasn't my fault to begin with. The whole reason I didn't want this one is because it is too similar to the old laptop I had---and it was HP. Even though the brand names are really the only difference, since they're all assembled at the same place, I didn't want another HP, period. I hate being made to go against my instincts.
I'm really pissed.

4 comments:

StickyKeys said...

Oh Sophie sweetie, for the love of God get someone else to handle this for you, you are cursed!

Seriously though, I hope it gets worked out very soon, but after it's all said and done treat yourself to something nice!

Ferdinand the Duck said...

There's no way they'd let you return the new one for a refund/store credit? Did you talk to the highest manager you could find? Because I would recommend taking your computer back, finding the store manager, and pitching a fucking fit. Just because they wouldn't refund the one they lost, doesn't mean they can't refund the new one. If you only just got it, it must be covered under their return policy.

Sophie Treadmill said...

Oh, I was talking the old one. I didn't even think about getting a refund/store credit for the new one! Maybe this will actually work out...well, I wouldn't want to go that far, but you are right, there really shouldn't be a problem with the new one. I'm gonna go check the receipt.

Jen said...

I've worked many a crappy retail job and I can promise you that if you throw a big enough fit you'll eventually get your way. I don't usually reccomend being a jackass but in this case, I think it's called for. If even the slightest thing goes wrong with this compuer I would storm in there and demand to speak to everyone right up to the company president until someone gives you what you want. And if that doesn't work then you give me a call and I'll go and break some kneecaps.