Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ramblings

So...finally the benefit of Jeff having taken this new job (although Chicago suburbs and "barf" still belong in the same sentence) has materialized because he was just here for a few days and was able to work from his laptop. There have been 2 break-ins at my trailer court (1 was right across me, mere feet away) and 2 more on my street. In addition to his company of course, it was nice to have him and his F-150 with Texas plates in my driveway while I was at school Friday.

Nothing about this move over the Xmas break was easy. Moving is never easy or fun of course, but everything that could go wrong did. The movers turned out to be scam artists, but we eventually got our stuff back. They basically couldn't/wouldn't tell us where our stuff was for over a month. Which really sucked because we'd already rented a place, so it was just sitting empty and yet we were paying. Jeff and I spent the break either in a hotel room or staying with his parents who live 2 hrs from where he works, so he was traveling 4 hours round trip during this whole saga. When they finally called and said they had our stuff, they said they needed $(Insert Insane Amount of Money Here) to deliver. And it had to be in cash. Had to be. No Cashier's Check accepted. Hmmm...wonder why that was? Probably because there would be a paper trail that we could use to turn around and sue them.

Then every other detail that could go wrong or be a horribly long and drawn out process has been, (banks, mail utilities, etc.). I've known Jeff for going on 13 years and I've never heard him say he missed a place or wanted to move back somewhere and he has lived a lot of places, but he is really missing Texas and wants to move back when I'm done with school. I feel bad for him, so I'm hoping he can start to adjust and with us getting to spend more time together, that it'll finally start to get better, because right now that's the only advantage Chicago offers as far as he/we are concerned.

Anyway, the weekend was nice. We went out and ran into people we knew from back in the day. Sometimes it's really weird seeing people you used to party with all the time ten years later. I'm sure they're thinking "I can't believe they're stiiilll together." Carbondale is a weird place sometimes. It's this vortex that keeps pulling people (like me) back in, yet there's still room for relative anonymity.

Oh yeah...so my roof is leaking like crazy. I'm calling the landlord on Monday. He's always very good about fixing things and is always here right away. I usually see him around the premesis just about every day, so that's good. One weird thing I'm worried about is that one of the leaks is right above a light fixture, a globe looking thingy. Well, a lot of water has collected inside that globe thingy. I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to turn that light on right? Sometimes I lack common sense on stuff like this, so I'm just gonna take the safe route and not use that light.

So, I'm out of random crap to spew right now. I guess I'll stop here now.

No comments: