Saturday, August 4, 2007

Dining Room Table!

Yeah, so this post is going to be about finding a great dining room set and my excitement over that, which will probably bore you to tears, but you can't say I didn't warn you. I was even nice enough to put it in the title and everything.

Jeff and I have been searching for a dining room table for a long, long time but I wanted to fall in love with a set or find a steal at one of those cheap antique/junk stores. In college he had the coolest restaurant booth dining set complete with orange vinyl covering, very 70's groovy. When he graduated and moved, he had to choose between the table or the seats because his truck didn't have enough room. Guess which one he chose? The ugly brown formica table with a faux walnut look, with the stripping on the side coming off or the funky, hip restaurant booths?


I can still see him tossing the booths in the dumpster. I just don't understand him sometimes. I thought they were really cool and it's not like you can find those just anywhere or for cheap. I asked him what his logic was and he said he didn't have a flat surface---no desk no coffee table, etc. so it made sense to keep the table. Because you can't get a Coleman folding table for $25, I guess. He had just asked me to move in with him and the concept of what that all meant (that I have the right to say "hold it right there buster, you're not getting rid of the booths") was still new to me. So I didn't stop him, I just expressed my dismay and disappointment. In my defense, I wouldn't be moving in with him until a few months later and didn't think of his college belongings as "ours."

Today we went to an antique store and found a really nice round table, with a mohagony or cherry finish, I don't know which. The matching chairs look elegant without being too stuffy. For a long time I've been wanting a bistro-style square pub table, but when the man said "I'll take $150 for that," I was sold. Now I own my first dining room set and it's much nicer than anything I grew up with so I appreciate it very much and am really excited about it. It's no 70's restaurant booth (which would look so cool in the trailer I'll be living in) but it has its own charm nonetheless. I get to move in about 9 days and won't see it again until Xmas, but that doesn't diminish my excitement in the least.

7 comments:

StickyKeys said...

What an excellent bargain! It sounds great. That said, why couldn't J make two trips? Was he moving very far?

StickyKeys said...

Hee! I had something to say about the grocery rant too! Oh well, next time ;)

Ferdinand the Duck said...

Make sure you check out today's featured photo on the Wikipedia home page!

Sophie Treadmill said...

Sticky, guess I should've mentioned he was moving 6 hours away.:)

AJ, how did you know I have a thing for Rosie the Riveter?

Ferdinand the Duck said...

You were using it somewhere on the innernetz, I can't remember where. Myspace? Whenever I see it, it makes me think of you.

Sophie Treadmill said...

Oh yeah, Sticky, I just realized what you meant by my grocery rant. I decdied to take that blog down, as if it was giving a crappy start to the day more power or something. I hate being that petty and actually taking time out of my day to do so.

Sophie Treadmill said...

Dammit, didn't see your response AJ. Yes, it was myspace and I still have Rosie the Riveter on mine.