Friday, September 7, 2007

Pride and Shame: Like Sunshine and Rain (Yes I Went There)

I have officially started working out again and I even look forward to it because it is a place I can go everyday that has nothing to do with obligations. I can be anonymous and don't have to fulfill a role as teacher/student and I don't have to be articulate or insanely prepared. Oh, and how about the joys of shuffle when you forgot you ever downloaded Rick Springfield one night this summer when you were drunk. Or how about when Christina Aguillera's "Fighter" comes on? Totally worth it. Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about myself because I am doing 90 minutes of cardio a day 5 days of the week, weight training twice a week with a trainer, and tomorrow will start a once a week yoga class. I just hope I keep it up (at least to some degree) when the cold weather sets in.

Now, onto a more shameful, confessorial note: I hate myself for thinking there's something sexy about JustinBobby. I know. Yes, I'm aware of the combat boots at the beach. I didn't say I supported that. He's an idiot, pretentious loser that doesn't need to have his ego inflated any further by people like me and AJ finding him hot. I guess I'm just a dirty old woman. At least Audrina can say she's 20 and stupid. What's my excuse? I think it's the voice that puts him over the edge for me. Also, I was a big fan of the fuck buddy when I was single. I guess I see JustinBobby as perfect fuckbuddy material and maybe that's what it is. No, wait...I'm turning 36 next month. Aren't I supposed to be hitting my sexual peak any day now? You know, I was looking forward to this sexual peak business but if it means I'll be finding the JustinBobby's of the world sexy, maybe it's not all it's cracked up to be.

5 comments:

Ferdinand the Duck said...

You're doing 90 minutes of cardio a day, five days a week??? Holy shit, Sophie, you're an animal. I love the treadmill and my roommate thinks I'm a freak for doing an hour of cardio whenever I managed to drag myself to the gym at the old place. We're joining the Y next week, which I'm excited about. I've never ever had any sort of regular gym routine that lasted beyond a couple months, so I'm hoping that it sticks this time, since I have to quit smoking to be able to afford it. I lost a bit of weight recently due to stress-related loss of appetite (it's back now, I'm eating a big bowl of spaghetti while I type this) (yes, it's 11am), but I'm pretty happy with the way I look right now and wouldn't mind maintaining it/improving a little.

Sophie Treadmill said...

Actually, I would prefer to do less, but I know what it takes to lose weight, and for me, unfortunately, that's what it takes.

12 years ago I lost 40 pounds by working out 90 minutes a day. I got down to a size 2 and pretty much stayed there without having to workout until a couple of years ago when I started gaining some weight, but still looked okay. Then, last year with all the stress I gained all the weight back. Still, keeping the weight off for 10 years is an accomplishment in itself. I don't know if I can get back down to a 2, but I can do better than where I currently am sizewise.

Chris said...

You do realise I just spent valuable life time looking up who this Justin Bobby character is, in the hopes that he might be attractive? I don't know if we get The Hills over here. I kind of don't want to know...

lainewinter said...

If you can stick with it for a few weeks, it starts to get like another addiction where you are not dreading it anymore, but rather, looking forward to it. You probably know that already. Well, at least, that has been my experience with working out.
I just quit my other gym and joined the Y because my gym cancelled all my evening step classes. I wish I was a Naperville soccer mom with no job so I could just go to Pilates at 10am like all those gym rats. In my next life I'm going to be rich.
Who's JustinBobby?

Sophie Treadmill said...

You should definitely youtube him. Just put in "Justin Bobby" and you'll get a couple of clips from The Hills. JustinBobby is Audrina's unboyfriend. She doesn't seem to realize he's just the type you have fun with---not the type to turn into boyfriend material. He might be the love child of Eddie Vedder and Johnny Depp. He might be trying to bring back grunge. He definitely has this absurd loseresque quality. He definitely typifies unobtainable hot loser guy (tm someone else).

Naperville soccer moms! Thanks for giving me a laugh; I had almost forgotten about them. I have no idea why I remember this but I'll never forget this woman I saw in Dominick's, mid-morning. There she was pushing her cart, talking on her cell, in a tennis skirt and polo. She just seemed to embody the soccer Mom archetype. It was like "people actually play tennis in a tennis skirt and then go the grocery store, talking on their cell phone while they fill their carts with overpriced faux organic food?"